.
.
.
.

Thursday, March 7, 2024

Tree Farm and Olga’s Autumn Stocking

 Picking up where I left off in my March 6th post…

It has been a long-standing tradition in my family to get our Christmas tree the day after Thanksgiving.  When we lived in Florida it usually meant a trip to the tree sale at a church or corner where the trees were trucked in from the north.

 

The last two years we have gone to a tree farm.  This was my mom’s first trip.

 

Boyd Mountain Christmas Tree Farm has been a working farm for over 100 years.  It wasn’t always just Christmas trees. They used to grow tobacco, potatoes, corn and cattle.  You can read more about the farm’s history here.





Even though family members still live in the big houses, they rent out the renovated cabins on the property.



 

What is a tree farm without some silly family photos of our own?



In stitching news….

 

I joined my friend Ronny’s stocking stitch-along.  It began on December 1, 2023 and the goal is to stitch at least 300 stitches per week on a stocking of your choice. (Easy enough!)

 

I selected Olga’s Autumn Stocking by Plum Street Sampler.


Here is my progress.  I’ve stitched 4,546 stitches so far.  I’m currently 46 stitches ahead 😊

 

I'm stitching this on 36 count linen in the color Winter Brew by R&R Reproductions, using the called for over-dyed floss.


I have more stitching to share tomorrow… I hope your week is going well so far!

 

5 comments:

Gene Black said...

The tree farm looks interesting. I think it might be fun to stay in one of those cabins.

Julierose said...

Just lovely stitching on that pretty stocking--it will be a treasure when you finish it for sure!! Nice work so far;;; hugs, Julierose

Melisa- pinkernpunkinquilting said...

Boyd's Farm sounds like a nice place to visit particularly at Christmas time. Farmers do adapt to the times and seasons in respect to their "crops" and other ventures. Your stocking is looking great. I wish you a lovely weekend. Hugs. .

Vicki in MN said...

One I tried the smaller count linen and my eyes didn't like that! Kudos to you girl!! This is going to be a pretty fall addition.

Rosemary Dickinson said...

I love seeing your fun pictures from the tree farm. Love your projects! That stocking is going to be a beauty!