.
.
.
.

Tuesday, March 12, 2024

More Holiday Fun and the Hoop-N-Tray

Before getting into the last two December 2023 events, I want to show you this new gadget I purchased.



It is the Hoop N Tray from Not Forgotten Farm on Etsy.

I saw this on someone’s Flosstube and ordered the one with the 8” hoop. The hoop is made from beech wood and the tray is constructed using poplar.



The tray has a nice magent to hold your scissors or needle.  The top flips up so you can check the back of your work or finish off your thread.

 

I have tried it on my lap as well as on the table top and it works perfectly.  I’ve wanted something to take to retreats but I’m finding it quite useful at home.


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


The last two events from December 2023 that I’ll share with you is our train ride on the Great Smoky Mountain Railway and our candlelight tour of the Biltmore House.

 

The GSMR train runs by steam engine from Bryson City to Dillsboro.  The car’s host gave a history lesson about the railway and the area during the trip.


At some point during the ride, a storyteller (in costume) joined and gave us a tale about Saint Nicholas.

We had a nice ride, on-board lunch and maybe a bit of Christmas shopping in Dillsboro.


This is a ‘quilted’ fish at the station in Bryson City.


We’ve enjoyed a couple of visits to the Biltmore House during Christmas but this was our first candlelight tour at night.



Mama getting all the info from the guide at the door (she doesn't meet a stranger)


My favorite part of the Biltmore at Christmas is the gingerbread house.



And, of course, the trees on the front lawn.




Back at home in Waynesville, we ate at one of our favorite places and on the way out we met Ruby.



She's a duck...on a leash...wearing slippers and a bowtie scarf.


I hope you all had a nice weekend.  Ours was busy but also enjoyable.

 

I think I have one more "catch up" event to share and then we will be back to regular programming.


I've unpacked a lot of boxes and have thoroughly enjoyed rediscovering my quilting projects.  Oh how the sewing machines are taunting me...


7 comments:

Gene Black said...

I have seen a cat on a leash, and even reptiles on leashes. But how does one put a leash on a duck?

The hoop and tray looks like a useful tool.

Linda said...

Your train trip looks fabulous, love the pics of your Mom never meeting a stranger. My Mom was the same way. :D I've never seen a duck on a leash - how cute! That hoop and tray looks pretty keen; I might have my husband have a look and see if he can do something similar.

Julierose said...

Love that hoop n' tray idea--looks like such a practical thing to use ;)))
You had such a fun trip...thanks for sharing..you are looking forward to sewing and I am thinking of wrapping it up what with my hands' problems...;000
we shall see hugs, Julierose

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Your Hoop 'n Tray is a neat gadget! I'll have to check out that site. And what a fun train ride! I recently read a historical fiction book where part of it was set at the Biltmore mansion - it sounded like a fabulous place!

Melisa- pinkernpunkinquilting said...

The Hoop and Tray looks very handy. Oh my, that darling duck!!! Have a wonderful day.

Lin said...

The hoop tray looks really useful. I always love a train trip, especially if food is involved! xx

Rosemary Dickinson said...

I love that hoop and tray! I'm sure it comes in handy. The Biltmore House looked beautiful and so festive for the holidays. I've never seen a duck on a leash! So funny!!