.
.
.
.

Monday, January 2, 2023

Happy New Year and 2022’s Big Move

Happy New Year!

I hope you have fond memories from 2022 and may you create even better ones in 2023.

 

My year was full of travel, new experiences, lots of crafting and a move.  I have a lot to tell you about my 2022 but we are going to take this in bits.

 

Today I’d like to share about our move.


From...


To...


During one of our camping adventures in July 2021, we visited an adorable small town in the mountains of western North Carolina.  Waynesville quickly became a place we would consider moving to one day.  As it turns out, we have friends that have had a vacation home in nearby Maggie Valley for 20+ years…we didn’t know.

 

Fast forward to June 2022… we spent four days with a realtor looking at land as well as existing homes.  Unfortunately, we weren’t interested in anything at the time.  We decided to rent a place to make sure Waynesville is where we want to be and to make the property search a bit easier.  So, in July we moved into an adorable condo located right downtown. It came furnished so all our belongings are in two large storage units in Florida

 

We still needed a small U-Haul for things we can’t live without…2/3 of the trailer consisted of sewing machines and other craft items.

 

We’ve learned a lot about mountain living…it is certainly different than anything I’ve ever experienced. It isn’t bad, just different. Waynesville has a small-town vibe but there are a lot of things to do.  We’ve enjoyed drives on the Blue Ridge Parkway, visited Great Smoke Mountain National Park, eaten at some amazing restaurants, became annual passholders to the Biltmore Estate and so much more.  Asheville is only a 30-minute drive away so we’ve taken advantage of some of what it has to offer as well.




Biltmore - Christmas 2022


We almost purchased a home in October but sadly, the due diligence process revealed some things we just weren’t willing to take on at this stage in our lives. The home search continues. Build? Buy existing? Wish us luck.

 

My mom and children still reside in Florida, and it isn’t likely they will ever move, so we’ve made several trips back for various reasons. They did join us in North Carolina for Christmas though. The temperatures were quite frigid, but we kept the fireplace going and everyone had a great time.




Christmas Eve - 6:00 am


Christmas Eve - 7:30 am
 

I’ll share more about our new little town in future posts. And I can’t wait to show you all the stitching and sewing I’ve been doing.

 

In the meantime, have a happy and blessed 2023!

6 comments:

Kyle said...

Major changes, but it seems you're taking things slow and steady. A big difference in the weather and climate. Visiting the Biltmore estate will be so fun. I hear it is lovely no matter the season.

Gene Black said...

I am glad you are enjoying your new state. I can't see that I would ever move from a warmer climate to a colder one. ha ha.

www.self-sufficientsam.blogspot.com said...

Oh my! You have had an exciting year and I am so glad you are blogging again! I didn't know you were on IG....I'll have to go look for you. I need to figure out how to post on there. I went with some friends years ago to Ashville and visited the Biltmore. We went in the Fall and it was beautiful but I am afraid of heights...really afraid so while my friends drove around those mountains I cringed with my eyes closed in the back seat! LOL! I would get out and appreciate the scenery when we stopped with both my feet on the ground.
It is a beautiful area and I hope you find your dream house!

Linda said...

That is SO exciting! I am always up for a move. My kids think I'm weird, and well, yes I am. ;) You are doing it the right way, I admire that. Yes please keep us posted on your search!

Terry said...

How exciting! Happy New Year! :0)

Nancy @ Grace and Peace Quilting said...

I read this with great interest, Jeanna, as our daughter started college in Black Mountain, NC, in September. We visited the area for orientation and was totally charmed by it! We made a visit to Biltmore, also. What a beautiful area!!!