.
.
.
.

Friday, April 12, 2024

Sawtooth Stars – Gene’s Way

Hey Y’all!

I’m excited to be back at the sewing machine and excited that I’m getting reacquainted with some older projects.


When my Mama helped me organize my craft room recently, I found a box labeled “Gene’s Flying Stars.” I shared about this project a long time ago so I’m essentially going to start over.



My friend Gene Black has a way of making the Sawtooth Star block using flying geese. He calls this block Flying Stars.  And since I’m making them, I call them Gene’s Flying Stars. He taught me through his YouTube video how to make them, so he gets ALL the credit.  Check it out here.


The box was filled with fabric precut to make several blocks.



Gene suggests chain piecing, but I wanted to make a test block first. I needed to check my machine settings, which foot I used, etc.


Well, I’m glad I did because the first block was a failure.


I adjusted the machine settings and changed the foot I was using. It worked because the next block came out much better.



I took a photo of the machine settings for future reference.



Then I prepped the remaining fabric for chain piecing.



Now you know what I’m doing tonight. I have an idea what I’m going to make with these blocks but need to do a little math first.


What are your plans for the weekend? Anything creative?


Whatever it is, I hope it is enjoyable.

7 comments:

Gene Black said...

I had completely forgotten making that video. Thank you for sharing it. I am not a perfectionist, so I would probably still use that first block, although I see the tiny "error" in the block. Once quilted, I doubt anyone would notice.

Linda said...

Oh I really enjoyed that video. He is quite good with showing how and why, and I like the pace! When I try it, I will do as you did and make a test block. Good luck with your quilt math! I have so much to do in my sewing room, I hardly know where to begin. I've had startitis the past few months, and now I'm paying for it.

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

I like making sawtooth stars with flying geese, too! I'll have to watch Gene's video. It looks like you're adjusting the seam allowance a bit with your needle placement. I wonder if my machine will do that. It will be fun to see what you do with your flying stars!

Julierose said...

I would surely use the first block--I am definitely not a perfectionist--and good thing, too--as my seaming skills have never been that great--!!:000
Nice work in progress; it must feel great to be sewing once again...
hugs, Julierose

Rosemary Dickinson said...

Your first block looks pretty good! I'm so glad you're sewing again. I feel weird if I skip sewing for too long! I must be addicted!! I'm going to watch that video. I love learning new methods.

Lin said...

Yes, I would have been happy with the first block too but good for you going for perfection. Looks like a great way to make stars, have fun. xx

Susan said...

We probably should test things first..... sometimes we are just too keen to get started.
this will be a fun quilt - and its always satisfying to get an old UFO done.

Happy sewing