.
.
.
.

Monday, July 3, 2023

Cross Stitch Retreat – Stitching in the Wild

Happy Independence Day to all my US friends! (A day early)

Hard to believe the first half of 2023 is behind us. Time sure flies these days for me. What about you?

 

Back in May, Gary and Ronny Hovatter hosted their first cross stitch retreat at the Sheraton Suites Cypress Creek in Fort Lauderdale, FL.



They own and operate GaRon Stitchery, an online business that sells all things related to cross stitch. Once a month they have a project bag sale and they also offer several monthly clubs for project bags, fabrics and threads. Ronny makes the most beautiful and quality project bags. (I may have one or two or thirty-ish)

 

I first met them the weekend before the world shutdown in 2020 and instantly felt a friendly connection. I’m a big supporter and also fan of their flosstube which you can find here.



Most Sunday afternoons you will find me stitching with them and many others on Zoom, which they are so kind to host. I was able to meet quite a few zoom friends in person at the retreat.

 

WARNING: this post is photo heavy.

 

The format of GaRon's Stitching in the Wild retreat was very casual. It wasn’t designer focused but quite a few designers created exclusive charts for the event, many of which were free. And Fabrics by Stephanie was there to sell her hand dyed fabrics in GaRon’s shop annex.


We stitched all day and some stitched all night! The stitching was interrupted with frequest customer appreciation drawings and giveaways.

 


My table mates with Gary and Ronny
Zoom friend Joy

Friend Marja from the Netherlands on the right and her cousin Susan, who is now a friend on the left

Zoom friend Connie

Gary, Me, friend Andrea and Ronny

Another friend, Kanday holding a pillow I made for her.
Kanday also has a flosstuble The 614 Stitcher

I also made the pins
I gifted Gary, Ronny and Marja special ordered pin cushions in handmade shaker boxes, adorned with my pins of course

My tablemates received tomato pin cushions with pins

I gifted the other attendees candy and a needleminder

Here a few photos of the shop annex

Connie waiting in line to check out

Marja beat her to it

Kristi Bernstein of Salty Stitcher Designs charted a special piece for the retreat
The attendees were asked to stitch their initials on it, as a remembrance stitch for Gary and Ronny. It won't surprise some of you that I had to put my initials front and center.

Most cross stitch retreats offer a Brag Table where you can bring previously finished cross stitch projects to show off.  Here are a few beauties...








I didn't do a very good shop documenting the event and I surely didn't get a lot of stitches in. Socializing with an amazing group of friends was what it was all about.

I'm looking forward to the next Stitching in the Wild retreat which will be held September 12 - 15, 2024 in Montgomery, AL. Registration opens on August 12, 2023 at 2:00 pm CENTRAL time. If you are interested, create an account at GaRon Stitchery , log in on that date before 2 pm...and be quick on the trigger. There will only be 125 spots available.

I attended one other retreat after this one but that story is for another day.

Everyone who is celebrating, I hope you have a nice and safe July 4th.

Until next time, may this critter stay away from your stitching and sewing...no frogging!




9 comments:

Julierose said...

It sounds like you had a really wonderful Retreat!! What beautiful stitcheries on display;)) I really envy you gals the ability to do counted cross stitch--I could never get the hang of it...

We are having super hot and humid weather here this long weekend so I have been in my craft (or as DH calls it: "Crap" hahaha) room with the AC on for sure...

I think he is finally (after 56 yrs of marriage to a crafter) seeing how hard it is to store all the "stuff" I use for fabric and paper crafts!! He is helping me to get my things in order a bit--a job that will never be done, I fear!! since I can no longer lift boxes down from shelves he has become my handy helper...what a sweetie;)))
Take care and enjoy your stitching...hugs, Julierose

www.self-sufficientsam.blogspot.com said...

Looks like a wonderful group of friends and you are such a lovely lady! It's nice to put a face to the name. I'll have to check out GaRon's website. I might be interested in joining a Zoom group someday but I have to learn how to Zoom first...lol! Thank you for sharing! I loved all the pics!

Jeanette said...

Looks like you all had a fabulous weekend. Lovely projects on the Brag Table. Love the pillow you made Kanday, so cute.

Melisa- pinkernpunkinquilting said...

It looks like you had a wonderful time . Sew many pretties to inspire one as well. Have a wonderful week and Happy July 4th.

A Left-Handed Quilter said...

WOW - such lovely pieces! It looks like you had a great time - and it is so nice to put a face to the name - ;))

Rosemary Dickinson said...

This retreat looks like such fun! I really enjoyed seeing all your pictures as well as the beautiful cross stitched pieces. I'm tempted to try cross stitching again. Not sure that's a good idea! Haha!! Happy 4th of July!!

Linda said...

How fun that you got to fan-girl! Looks like a beautiful place to retreat to, and it's great that you have such fun friends to share your cross stitching love.

Vicki in MN said...

The retreat sounds so fun! And how fun to do it all in person again!!
Happy 4th.

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

That looks like fun! Lots of stitching inspiration, plus friends together, is always a good thing. I didn't know about their website - I'll have to go check it out!