.
.
.
.

Thursday, July 18, 2024

Lemon Brownies, Quilt Blocks, More Cross Stitch

Happy Thursday, Friends!

We are almost to the weekend and I’m excited to share some recent sewing and cross stitch progress with you.


First, I mentioned in my last post that I was off to make lemon brownies. 


A couple of people here on the blog and on Instagram inquired about the recipe.


I shared the link to the recipe years ago but thought I would offer it again for anyone who is interested in trying them.  I have had to make a few adjustments since moving to the mountains, but they are still delicious and one of our favorite summer desserts.

Find the recipe here.


I am still making progress on Lori Holt’s Scrappiness Is Happiness quilt.  Since the quilt-along has ended, I’ve assigned myself a schedule to make at least two blocks per week, picking up where I left off last year.

We were instructed to make two Butterfly blocks.

This is the Neighborhood block.


After completing the quilt blocks, I made progress on Liberty House by Brenda Gervais of With Thy Needle and Thread.

June progress…

This is where I am now…

This is part of a stitch-along hosted by Hollis Hands Create on Instagram. The general idea is that we start a patriotic or summertime themed cross stitch on Memorial Day, with the goal to finish by Labor Day. The hashtag is #HollisSummerHolidaySAL if you are interested in seeing what others are stitching.


Next, I pulled out Olga’s Autumn Stocking.

Since it was time to move the scroll rods, I thought I would open it up and show you where I left off in June.

I put in 413 stitches last Sunday which completed a few motifs around and under the pumpkin.

I’ll continue to work on this piece on Sundays.


Grandma Winnie’s Basket is a chart in the 2024 Nashville Needlework Market Cookbook. I do not have a cover photo to share because only the chart was published.  I stitched this while we were camping in the Outer Banks in May, then promptly misplaced it.


While I was organizing my cross stitch last week (more on that in a future post), I found it tucked away in a completely different project. So, I quickly finished it into a pillow.


And lastly, I stitched one more patriotic piece. This is Uncle Sam by Threadwork Primitives.


He will be finished using a skeleton key. I hope to get that done this weekend.


I think I’m finished with patriotic for this year. More bee charts are on the agenda for the next couple of weeks.  I started Honey Bee Basket by Primrose Cottage Monday while watching MLB's All Star  Home Run Derby.

I’m stitching this on 32 25 count Lugana in the color Cloud by Lori Holt and using the called-for DMC floss.


This evening’s agenda is to cut the next couple of Scrappiness Is Happiness quilt blocks and prepare for some weekend sewing and stitching.


What is keeping you busy these days?

 







10 comments:

Gene Black said...

You have certainly been busy. I have kept busy learning a drawing/ illustration program on my iPad and enjoying creative time that doesn’t require another room on my house to store it all.

Julierose said...

You have a lot of stitchery going on--all so pretty:)))

I like those butterfly blocks a lot--really lovely;)))

I am trying to stay busy inside with all this heat and humidity we've been having. We did get some rain last night, a few claps of thunder, and some lightning--but all it did, it seems, is to make things more humid!! UGH!!
Stay cool--Hugs, Julierose

Linda said...

I'm so glad you shared your lemon brownie recipe. After you mentioned it, I went hunting for one and printed it out to make it this weekend. The one I printed is called "Lemonies" and has a stick and a half of butter and more sugar, so I'm going to try yours instead! Your projects are so pretty, and I think that autumn stocking is adorable - I'm off to buy it!

Vicki in MN said...

Love those butterfly blocks, and the cross stitch progress is fun to see. I am working on more fall panel wall hangings.

Melisa- pinkernpunkinquilting said...

You have a lot of beautiful summer projects in the works. Making a commitment to 2 blocks a week is a great idea. Thank you so much for sharing the lemon brownie recipe link. They look so yummy.

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Your lemon brownies look yummy! Thanks for sharing the recipe - I'm going to have to save that one. Love the Laurie Holt blocks - especially the butterflies, so pretty! I'm finishing up a patriotic cross-stitch piece, and then ready to move on to something else, too. The Honey Bee Basket looks like a sweet design!

www.self-sufficientsam.blogspot.com said...

Wow! You have gotten so much accomplished! I love all your projects and especially your patriot stitching....so pretty. Your quilt blocks are adorable and I really need to get back to sewing and quilting...you're motivating me! Thank you! I bet the Outer Banks were beautiful.

Carla said...

Oh my you certainly are a busy Bee. So many cross-stitch projects. I've tried to cross stitch and I make more mistakes than I get down. I get in a hurry or something but I watching your progress. That little pillow you completed is adorable.
I still want to do a Lori Holt sew along but I'm not good at keeping up. One day and the one you working on now is one that I thought long and hard on trying but didn't happen.

Can't wait to see what you complete and or start next.
Have a great week.

Faith@FarmhouseWorthy said...

ooh lemon brownies, I wonder if I could use Lemon Verbena in place of the lemons? They have a lovely scent which is very lemony. I have a lovely plant and have dried some and have been looking for something to use them in....

dq said...

The neighborhood block is my favorite, and that stocking is to die for! Years ago I thought I could do a cross stitched stocking for my family. It didn't take me long to realize that cross stitch wasn't my first love. I applique's them instead.