.
.
.
.

Friday, August 14, 2026

Floss Friday - Cross Stitch Update, Turkeys, Basil, Peaches and A Fail

Hello, dear friends!

Here we are at the end of another week. This one was quick. I didn't cross stitch at all this week...which is unusual. The little bit of stitching I have to share is from last Thursday.  After we arrived in Ft. Walton Beach for my aunt's funeral, I needed to relax. I put 130 stitches in Wilding Hill Manor after checking in the hotel.

I finished one of the trees and started on the cat's tail.
                                            
We've had visitors almost every day.
                                              
The turkeys enjoy eating underneath the bird feeders.
                                                

                                                
I've encountered the swans a few times while on my walk around the lake as well. It is rare for me to see them out of the water. They stay to themselves.
                                                
I also had to harvest the basil as it was getting so big, even though we've been using it a few times a week.  I froze two ice trays worth.
                                              

                                              

                                                        
And still have this much left. There is already new growth forming.
                                                        
We are still able to get fresh South Carolina peaches so hubby made ice cream. I need to get a photo. And there is still enough for me to make a cobbler. 

We will be away again this weekend so I hope to get more peaches next week to freeze.

Some of you may remember Miss Lou's Pound Cake. Well, I attempted one this week and was shocked when it failed.
                                            
I've made this cake many times and this was the first time it came out like this. I know it was level in the oven. Hubby is going to check the calibration of the oven to see if the temperature is off. The only other thing I did different was I used a different brand flour. By the way, it still tastes delicious.

That has been my week. We are off to Philadelphia for a few days. It's been a few years since we've been and I want to see all those special places like Independence Hall, Liberty Bell, etc. during our country's 250th birthday. And since it's baseball season, we can't go to Philly without attending at least one game.

Before that though, I will be sewing the last block of the Sewcialites 3 quilt-along. From what I can tell, it is going to be another time consuming one.

Not sure when my next quilty update will post. It could be Saturday or next Wednesday. Either way, I hope to see you then.


11 comments:

Vicki in MN said...

The swans are beautiful. We have turkey and deer walk through the yard almost daily. Safe travels and enjoy another get away!

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Your weekend getaway sounds fun! Love seeing the turkeys right there in your yard. Yum on the homegrown basil and local peaches! We're still getting the Colorado peaches, too, and they are so good. The pound cake sounds delicious, even if it looked a little different to you when it came out of the oven. Enjoy!

Linda at Texas Quilt Gal said...

Love the resident turkeys and swans. That peach ice cream and cobbler sound wonderful. I have your recipe for Aunt Lou's cake and have not yet made it but do intend to! Good that it still tasted good - that's what I always tell myself!

Rosemary Dickinson said...

It must be so nice to see the swan during your walk. I would love to try your pound cake recipe. The cake in the picture looked good to me. I love the idea of peach ice cream and cobbler! It definitely sounds like summer to me! Have a great trip!

Linda's Relaxing Lair said...

Beautiful photos. How lovely to see the birds.

Lin said...

Such a lot of basil! I had two plants early on that were struggling so I put them in the garden by the compost heap ready to go it when they finally gave up. Instead they are both thriving so I am harvesting from them and the new plant I bought in time for the tomato harvest. Lots of pesto this winter I think. Shame about the cake. xx

Melisa- pinkernpunkinquilting said...

You have had a busy week, Jeanna. I had to laugh at your little sign in your basil pot. How cute. I have trouble growing basil. How fun to see the wild turkeys. Do you know what kind they are? I wish you a lovely time on your vacation. I hope you will share some photos. Hugs.

The Happy Whisk said...

I am sorry to read about your aunt. Which brings me to your sign on the herbs. That's very funny. I wanted to grow some this year and let the time slip past me. LOVE the ice cubes. That tray also, is very, very cool.

Dianet Quesada said...

Hola bella amiga que gusto visitar tu casita y ver tantas fotos bonitas de la vida en el campo. me encanta! y sobre todo poder disfrutar de la compaƱia de tantos visitantes hermosos jajjaa me encanto tambien ver esa maceta de flores amarillas ocmo mini girasoles. Como se llaman? esta preciosa esa maceta. Espero visitarte muy pronto o mejor aun verte por el blog que por cierto ya viste las novedades? Besitos de tu amiga y seguidora

Dianet del blog Parchesdeamor

Jeanna said...

Thank you, Ivy. The silicon ice cube trays are from Amazon. I freeze the basil in them and then pop the cubes into a plastic freezer bag. I need to do another batch...the basil is growing wild!

Jeanna said...

Thank you, Dianet. I'm not sure what the yellow flowers are called. Unfortunately, that pot didn't last very long.