.
.
.
.

Wednesday, May 1, 2024

Stars Update and GaRon Stitchery Grand Opening

There isn’t much to show in the way of stitching or sewing this week.

I managed to decide on a layout for Gene’s Flying Stars. This will be a runner for the top of a couple of IKEA cabinets.


I’m going to add a narrow border using the same background fabric and then a scrappy binding.


Stitching and sewing took a backseat to baking last week.  I spent two nights baking cookies.


Yes, these sour cream cookies have green buttercream frosting. You’ll see why further down.


I also made, but didn’t get photos of, snickerdoodles and peanut butter cookies.


I took a whirlwind trip to Alabama last weekend. 



While there, I attended the grand opening of GaRon Stitchery’s brick and mortar store. I’ve shared with you before that Gary and Ronny’s website is my ‘go to’ for cross stitch supplies. You can imagine how excited I was to help them celebrate this achievement.

 

Since I arrived on Friday, Ronny invited me to their home for a visit before we went to dinner.

 

I got to meet and get puppy kisses from their girls.


Ginger demanded many pets


Princess Leia just demanded
Gary showed me the amazing Merman in Blue. He cross stitched this a few years ago and it is incredible. 

This is a chart by Tilton Crafts, which I believe is no longer in business. I teased and asked if it is a self-portrait. 😊 I mean, look at the hair!


The doors opened on Saturday. There was a parking lot full of people waiting to get in.

We were greeted by a table full of….you guessed it…cookies!



Gary enjoying a green cookie.


People came from Missouri, Texas, Georgia, North Carolina and other states to show their support. There were also many local stitchers.


I met a couple of friends there. 


Ronny's Girls

Andrea (left) and Becky (right) drove over from Memphis. We’ve attended a few retreats together. I’ll see them next at StitchCon in June. (more on that later)

 

Of course I had to get a photo with Gary and Ronny before I left.


I would have gotten more photos of Ronny except that he was busy running around keeping customers happy. He is the epitome of the energizer bunny. He fixed me a nice cup of coffee for the road and I was home just as the sun was setting Saturday night.

You will get a better recap of the grand opening weekend on the GaRon YouTube here. They typically post videos on Friday. Please check them out and if you are inclined to leave a comment, let them know that I sent you.

Hubby and I took a nice walk around the lake on Sunday then enjoyed lunch downtown. As we were walking down main street, I spied something new in the niche beside the General Store.

It is a Little Library. 


Things I Love About My Hometown
Little Library -- Mast General Store

I can’t wait to donate a few books to it.


I think this may be a new feature on the blog…Things I Love About My Hometown.


We are off to Alexandria, VA this weekend for a wedding. I’ll recap my April stitching stats next week when I share about the trip.


I’m still working my way through my friends’ blog posts from the last week. I apologize ahead of time for the abundance of comments 😊


Enjoy your day!

 

7 comments:

Gene Black said...

It appears that you had a really nice trip. Those guys have a really nice stitchery store.

Julierose said...

Those lovely stars will make a perfect runner for your cabinet--so pretty!! Nice work on those...
Sounds like you had ag great trip--hugs, Julierose

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

What a fun reason for a trip to Alabama! Your cookies all look yummy, and that green frosting was perfect for the occasion. Gene's Stars are so pretty - they'll make a great runner!

Jeanette said...

Love your stars. They make a great runner. Oh those cookies looks so yummy. Sound like a wonderful trip for the store opening.

Rosemary Dickinson said...

What fun to visit GaRon Stitchery! I think it's difficult to find a nice cross stitch store. What a great reason to visit Alabama! Your cookies look so good! Your stars came out great! Love that fabric!!

Astrid said...

Love the stars! They will make a pretty runner. That sounds like a fun trip to the grand opening of the stitchery shop. The shop looks so welcoming and airy.
The cookies looks yummy. Enjoy the wedding in VA!

www.self-sufficientsam.blogspot.com said...

I love that table runner. Is that design from Gene Black, your friend? Those cookies sure looked yummy and what good friend Ronnie and Gary have that people would travel all that way to help them celebrate! Congratulations to them on their new store. I haven't been crating as much this past week but plan to get going this weekend. Take care!