.
.
.
.

Friday, October 20, 2023

Pop-up Retreat, Cross Stitch, Felt and Sewcialites 2

Hello and happy Friday, dear friends.

I promised a recap of last Saturday’s pop-up retreat.  First, I should explain…


Anabella’s is a cross stitch store on Etsy as well as a brick and mortar here, in Waynesville, NC. They host cross stitch retreats all over the USA. Big name designers are featured and they always sell out.


They have recently joined the world of virtual retreats, which are typically hosted on some platform like Zoom or EventHub.


Last Saturday, Anabella’s hosted their Autumn Pop-Up Retreat using the EventHub platform.  They featured some wonderful designers but due to technical difficulties, I didn’t get to interact with all of them. It was suggested to use a laptop or desktop for best results, and they even offered a Zoom dry run so that participants could troubleshoot their devices before the actual retreat.  I won’t go into all the boring nits but it just didn’t work smoothly.


We were sent a box ahead of time to open during the retreat.  Items were wrapped in tissue paper…



A Bundle of Goodies


A Bingo Card

Patterns, floss, needle minder, sticker

The event began at 11:00 am EDT and ended at 6:00 pm. You were free to come and go as you wished. When there wasn't a presentation to view or game to play, we were in "rooms" where we stitched and chatted with others. I met some nice cross stitchers from all over the US and Canada.  That was the BEST part.

 

I pulled a WIP from last year to work on during the retreat…



Cinnamon Stars by Plum Street Sampler. I’m stitching this on 32 count evenweave “Ruth” by Fortnight Fabrics. And I’m using the called-for flosses.

 

Then I finally found some buttons I thought may work for the felt project I told you about last week. This is one of Carole’s projects for Autumn Jubilee.


I wasn’t sure of the button color so I haven't sewn them on the felt yet. I posted this photo in the Friends of From My Carolina Home facebook group to get everyone’s opinions. Folks were supportive and I knew it would be ok when Carole commented they would go with the embellishments she will reveal next week. How intriguing!

 

And to end the week…


I finished putting the Sewcialites2 blocks into a simple layout.

I’ve selected some grunge fabric from my stash for the binding.

 

Hubby and I took our walk around Lake Junaluska Thursday morning and I took a ton of photos.  Fall is truly in the air. I will share a few here…





We are attending Waynesville's annual apple festival this weekend and then we’ll be getting ready for another trip to Florida next week.  Mom’s 80th birthday celebration is set for October 28th so I’ll be busy once I get there.

 

Hope you all have a great weekend!

 

8 comments:

Gene Black said...

I love doing virtual events. I have participated in music festivals and other events. It is a great way to be social without leaving home.

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

I'm sorry you had problems with some technical parts of your virtual retreat, but a lot of it sounds like fun! A goodie bag with new projects and meeting other stitchers - all good. I like those buttons on your penny rug, too! I added some tiny yellow buttons to mine - not really fall looking, but they were what I had. Your Sewcialites quilt top is gorgeous - love those fall colors! And beautiful fall scenes where you walked, too. Happy Birthday to your mom!

Julierose said...

Your quilt blocks are so pretty and cheerful in those colors--I like your choice for binding, too. Nice work.
Have a safe trip ;))) hugs, Julierose

Vicki in MN said...

Your retreat sounds like fun, stitchin' and chattin'. Your quilt flimsy looks awesome too! Happy up coming birthday to your mom:)

Linda said...

Glad you enjoyed the retreat, in spite of a few "nits" - lol love that word! Your lake is quite beautiful. Wonder how it got that name. The Sewcialites layout looks great! Another trip to Florida - happy BD to your Mom! Will there be cake? :)

Melisa- pinkernpunkinquilting said...

The retreat sounds fabulous, Jeanna. Such a sweet array of items in the bundle. So sorry you had technical problems. Your wool mat is absolutely adorable. Have a great week. Hugs.

Rosemary Dickinson said...

I loved reading about your retreat. It's always fun to meet new people with similar interests. Your Sewcialites2 Quilt top came out great! I love your colors. Your Autumn felt project is perfect for this time of year. Great stuff!!

www.self-sufficientsam.blogspot.com said...

I'm so sorry I haven't been by to see what you've been up to. I love your wool candle mat...darling and those buttons look great with it. I hopped over to Carole's blog and I will be following her too. Your scenery is beautiful where you are. The quilt top turned out so pretty! You've been busy! I'll try and be better about checking up on you! LOL!