.
.
.
.

Friday, September 1, 2023

A Finish… or Not

Happy Friday, Friends!

Last month I finished stitching this little piece


The Stitching Bee by Little House Needleworks

 

Then I found a box at the dollar store that reminded me of a honeycomb. And ‘thought’ it would be perfect to use for fully finishing the bee stitch.



As it turns out, the cross stitch is too small for box.

It needs something but I don’t know what.

 

Should I paint the box? I thought leaving it natural sort of worked with the cross stitch fabric?


Add more things around the stitching? Buttons? Pins?


For now, it is going to be parked on a shelf.


Since my last post I finished the secret sewing project (can’t wait to tell you about it…next month) and I finished the August ‘assignment’ on A Patriotic Christmas Eve.


As a reminder, this is a stitch-along with a friend. We divided the chart into sections and stitch one section per month. We should finish this during September.

 

My husband is going to have full knee replacement surgery in early October. We were in Florida last week for the diagnosis. Our preferred surgeon is in Coral Springs. There will be a lot of back and forth between North Carolina and Florida over the next couple of months. I think there will be more cross stitching than sewing happening then.

 

Here are a few charts I have in mind to work on.




Nice to have options, huh?

 

I’m kicking off this Labor Day weekend by virtually sewing with friends tonight. 

I’m joining Cheryll and the gang for Friday Night with Friends.

 

I hope you have a most enjoyable weekend and get into something creative and fun!

10 comments:

Gene Black said...

Could you possibly do an six sided inset to break up the black and white lining? It could be a simple dashed line with a leaf on each side(or corner)
Or if you want to just finish one side of it, it could go against the wood.
I like the setting but as it is the stitchery gets a little lost in the box.

A Left-Handed Quilter said...

I agree with Gene - a six sided little strip of beige/wood colored ribbon might do the trick. I like the natural color of the wood - and the black and white background - but I think it needs something to break up the "space".

Hope your husband has a speedy recovery - and I'm looking forward to seeing more of your stitching - ;))

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

That's such a cute bee stitching design, Jeanna! I like how you finished it, but I don't have a ton of experience with that part of the process yet. It looks very cute on the shelf with the other things you've got there. Great idea to stock up on crosspatterns before your hubby's surgery. Enjoy your Friday night stitching with online friends!

Jeanette said...

Love the B design, so cute. I almost want to take up cross stitch again. :). Not sure what you can do with the box but it looks lovely on display. Love the Santa cross stitch too. :) So lovely choices to stitch.

Lin said...

Lovely cross stitch finish and I like the natural wood of the hexagon box but I do find the gingham? background a bit too busy/dominating so it needs toning down a bit. Nice display. xx

Vicki in MN said...

Love that little hexie box for the bee cross stitch. You really have been bitten by the cross stitch bug!! So fun to see your stitch away. Hope your hubbies surgery goes well and he has fast recovery time.

Karen's Korner said...

Some lovely cross stitch projects there. Best wishes to hubby for his up and coming surgery.

Jocelyn is Canadian Needle Nana said...

Pretty finish and I love that box setting for it. Lots of wonderful projects available these days. And hope Hubby does well with this surgery...aren't we lucky to live in times with modern medicine. Yes to take along stitching too to pass the time. I watch a number of Youtubers-great when actually stitching myself- that do cross stitching. Do you?

Rosemary Dickinson said...

I always love the projects you pick for cross stitching. I can't wait to see what you'll be making next! I love that hexagon box for your project. I've had a few friends get knee replacements and they're so glad they did it. It makes a huge difference. I hope all goes well with your husband.

www.self-sufficientsam.blogspot.com said...

How about find some little decorative bees to glue around the XS inside the frame? Factory Direct Crafts might have some ideas for you if the bees aren't what you want.
Duh! Once again I missed Friday night! I have got to get with it!
I love the Santa XS and I would like to do it for my family in Iowa and I would put Iowa instead of town...they would love it!
You have so many lovely XS charts for your "trips". So sorry for your husband's surgeries but I'm sure he will feel much better after he's all healed. Do they do one at a time or both at the same time. I thought for sure my knees would be bad by this age(74) because I rode horses and your knees take all the jarring but so far so good. I have some twinges occasionally but nothing worth having surgery over. I will say prayers for him and you too! Safe trips!