.
.
.
.

Tuesday, September 8, 2026

Fat Quarters by the Dozen - Your Opinion, Please

Hello, Friends!

Hope everyone is doing well and that you had a nice long weekend. We drove to Nashville on Sunday for a concert and returned on Monday. I didn’t want to go anywhere on a holiday weekend, but it ended up being worth it.

I am having difficulty finding border fabric for the Fat Quarters by the Dozen quilt. I used scraps from various collections of Lori Holt fabric to piece the top center. Per the pattern there should be a skinny inner border and wider outer border. Even though many of Lori’s collections work together, I really do not want to purchase any more fabric for this. However, I will if I must.

It currently measures 54 ½” x 63 ½”.

I was thinking I could make a scrappy binding out of 2 ½” x 6 ½” strips from the fabrics in the quilt and call it done.

What do you think?

This project and Sewcilites 3 will be my quilting priority when I return from the cross-stitch retreat. I’ll try to share a bit about the retreat on Friday. No promises because I don’t know how crazy it will be. Sometimes I get so busy having fun that I do not take photos.

I hope you have a great week ahead and I look forward to hearing your thoughts on FQBTD.

See you soon,

 

14 comments:

Cherie Moore said...

I think a scrappy binding would finish it off nicely. If you really wanted a border, you could go with scrappy rectangles, but I don’t think it needs it as the it’s a nice throw size as is. Hope you have a blast at the cross stitch retreat!

TerryKnott.blogspot.com said...

I agree with Cherie. Do you want the quilt to be bigger then add the border. . .piano keys (rectangles) would look great. Scrappy bindings are fun too. Use up those leftovers from the front any way that you can! It is a pretty flimsy!!

Miss Alissa said...

I like the scrappy border idea!!

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

I would probably do exactly that - call it done and use a scrappy binding to frame everything! But if you had enough LH scraps for some kind of pieced border, I know that would be really pretty. Have fun on your retreat!

Linda's Relaxing Lair said...

Dear Jeanna, I have no talent in crafts so I cannot offer any authorized opinion. I love what I am seeing, though.

Jeanette said...

I think a scrappy binding will be perfect & call the quilt done. Love the top, its pretty.

Rosemary Dickinson said...

I love the idea of a scrappy border. I love a piano key border but they take a while. I think any solid would also be a great border. There are lots of great fabrics in that quilt but you'd need a good amount for a border. I think either one would work!

Astrid said...

Beautiful quilt, Jeanna! If you don't want to make it bigger, I think a scrappy binding will be perfect. If you want it bigger, I like the idea of scrappy triangles. Have fun at the retreat!

Lin said...

I too think it is lovely as it is and a scrappy binding would be great to finish it off. You dont want to overwhelm the design with more colour. Have fun on your retreat. xx

Gene Black said...

I would go with it as it is and do the scrappy binding. If you have a nice solid fabric that is close to one of those colors you could use it for a wide border (I am partial to the blue of the hearts)
Either way the scrappy binding will be nice.

Linda at Texas Quilt Gal said...

I love your scrappy binding idea!

Julierose said...

A scrappy binding would look super with this I think, Jeanna...
have fun picking out the fabrics...hugs, Julierose

Melisa- pinkernpunkinquilting said...

Your quilt is looking so pretty, Jeanna. I know what you mean about not wanting to purchase more fabric for a quilt. I agree with all of the others - a scrappy binding would be delightful. Have a great time at the retreat. Hugs.

Jeanna said...

Thank you so much, Linda.