.
.
.
.

Monday, October 14, 2024

Sewing, Thrifting, Northern Lights and September Stats

Good Monday to you, Friends.

I hope you had a lovely weekend. We enjoyed some cool, sunny days. I did a bit of sewing which I want to share with you today.


First, I finished three more blocks for Lori Holt’s Scrappiness is Happiness quilt.


Quick Broken Dishes


Quick Dash


Blossom

This is the second blossom block I’ve made for this quilt. It will replace the sewing machine block. Since this will likely end up on our bed, I didn’t think a sewing machine would necessarily fit.


There are only three blocks left to sew then I can start putting the top together.


Then, I pulled another cross-stitched piece from the “under the bed box” for fully finishing.

This Is Halloween by Primrose Cottage Stitches

Stitched on 28 count evenweave “We Aim to Please” by Fortnight Fabrics. I used the called for DMC threads. A Stitch-Along (SAL) was hosted by Corn Husker State Stitchers back in 2022. That is how long this one has been hanging around.

The stitched section measures around 8” x 8” and I thought it would make a nice 14” pillow.


The backing is envelope style so I can easily store the cover after Halloween and use the pillow form for something else.

Hubby and I went to our favorite local antique shop, and I found this cute egg crate.

I have plans for it, so stay tuned.


We also enjoyed a view of the Northern Lights over our house last Thursday. I took several photos, but I’ll just put one here. 

Apparently, they got better around 2:00 am on Friday morning, but sugars…I was long asleep at that time.


I stayed up pretty much all night Wednesday night because Hurricane Milton was roaring through Florida.  My son lives in Palm Harbor (Tampa area) and he evacuated to stay with my daughter in Orlando. They didn’t have any damage in Orlando, nor did they lose power. My son’s apartment in Palm Harbor was also spared, but they were without power for a short time. We all have so much to be grateful for!


Before I forget, I didn't do any sewing in September (insert sad face), and I only stitched 5,782 stitches on four different projects. Most of those Xs were to finish Olga's Autumn Stocking, which you can read about here.


My plans for this week are:

1)  Plan a stitch-along for a zoom group

2)  Finish the last three blocks for Scrappiness Is Happiness
3)  Cut sashing fabric for Scrappiness Is Happiness
4)  Finish stitching Give Thanks

Do you have plans for the week? If so, please share. I may be distracted inspired.

In the meantime, enjoy your week and I’ll see you next Monday!





9 comments:

Julierose said...

Loving your blocks--colors you have chosen are so pretty...it will really look lovely on your bed!! I have also slowed down on the sewing front; every once in a while i need time to reassess what I really want to make...
No lists for me but I will keep working on my redwork and my new catalogue Junque Journal needs prep for the January "prompt" series from "Caroline on the Hillside" on Youtube.
I am going to try some acrylic paint swiped across some pages to push back the printing--we shall see how that goes!! Glad you came through the storm well--hugs, Julierose

Gene Black said...

I have yet to see the Northern lights. There is so much light pollution here. And at 2 am I am well asleep also.
I am happy to hear that you and yours avoided the storm damages.
Good work with all you x stitching and your quilt-although I think a sewing machine fits in any room

Susan said...

Pleased to hear your family are OK. Those blocks are very sweet...any stitching is progress!

Vicki in MN said...

We took some Northern lights photos on Saturday night. I love your adorable pillow cross stitch finish!! Glad to hear your son and daughter came through the hurricane fine. I hope to work on a couple donation quilts this week.

Linda said...

Love seeing your work! Those scrappy blocks are so pretty.
I'm so glad about your son. I think the tropical season is pretty much over, but it sure left a devastating impact.
I need to get stitching on my Thanksgiving stocking, only did a few stitches but had so much trouble seeing because the thread count is so high, I got discouraged. I'm going to try it with both my light/magnifying glass and with my glasses - lol!

Melisa- pinkernpunkinquilting said...

Happy Monday, Jeanna. I am so glad that your dear son is safe and there was no damage to his apartment. The storms have been so awful. Oh those blocks are as cute as a button. Love the Blossom block. I can not wait to see these blocks assembled into a quilt top. How clever to make an envelope pillow cover. I would have never thought of that. That is one cute stitch. Sounds like a busy week ahead. Wishing you loads of stitching time. Hugs.

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

I like everything in your post today, Jeanna - especially that your son and daughter weathered the hurricane okay! Your Halloween stitched pillow is wonderful - perfect for a holiday decoration. And those Lori Holt blocks are so sweet. I really like the star block!

Rosemary Dickinson said...

I love your Lori Holt blocks. So glad your son and daughter did well during the hurricane. I love your Halloween projects, both the cross stitch and pillow. That egg crate looks interesting! We could see the Northern Lights up here too! So great we could all enjoy them!

Lin said...

Looking forward to seeing your Scrappiness put together. Nice finish on the cushion cover, it's good to have a few covers to swap around. The Northern Lights were visible here but we completely forgot to look! Well, lets face it, most of the time it's cloudy and you can't see a thing anyway. So glad your family are safe. Have a good week. xx