.
.
.
.

Sunday, August 24, 2014

Quick and Easy Dishtowel Potholder Tutorial

There are literally two seasons in south Florida….it’s either hurricane season or it is not. To feel any sort of seasonal change here, we pretty much have to rely on the décor in our homes.  One thing I like to do as the months go by is swap out the kitchen towels.  Simple, I know…but it is the small things that count J

I love the towel / potholder combo that hangs from my oven door handle and I have always purchased these at craft shows....you know, supporting our crafty friends.

Nothing says August like sunflowers…and this one has seen way too many Augusts!  I’m not sure how it survived last year (or the year before).


So, I picked up new materials at the dollar store and made a replacement.

There are tons of YouTube videos and online instructions for these but this is how I did it:



Carefully remove the tags from the potholder and dishtowel


Lightly press the towel in half


Mark the center of the towel with a Frixion pen (I love these pens because I can simply remove the mark with a warm iron when I am finished)


Mark the center of the potholder with the loop either above or below the line.  You'll need the loop to wrap around a button when folded in half


Thread a needle with a double-strand of sewing thread and insert just inside the potholder binding and on the center line


Hand sew a basting stitch through the towel only and when it is gathered to fit the potholder, you insert the needle and thread through the other side and pull tight...do not knot the thread, this is to just hold the towel in place while you adjust the gathers



Once you have the towel gathered and centered on the potholder, then pin it in place.  Sew in place using a straight stitch about 2.5 to 3.0 in length, removing the pins as you go


Remove the basting thread

If you like the placement and you actually plan to use your towel then I suggest sewing over it once more


Attach a cute button on the opposite flap from the loop




Finished within minutes!

Once I realized what was inside the OLD potholder, I grabbed the seam ripper....


We'll use this guy at least one more August J



I am not a tutorial writer by any means, but if you like these towels then I hope this post is somewhat helpful. 

Have a great week, my friends.

15 comments:

Vicky Hunt said...

You did a great job explaining how to make one! Yours turned out so cute. My mom's kitchen is decorated in sunflowers...they always make me smile! Such a happy flower! Mine was apples for years...like 20! It's been an uneventful year so far in the hurricane department here. I'm not one to keep us with weather too much, but I know I haven't heard anyone talking about any. Hope you have a wonderful week!

Blessings, Vicky

Abby and Stephanie said...

Clever, handy, useful, pretty. Thanks for sharing the process. Sunflowers are such happy things. Here's hoping the hurricanes all stay out to sea.

Kris said...

Great Tute! I have never made one, and now I think I shall!
Thanks for sharing!!
XO Kris

Stephanie said...

Wonderful towel, Jeanna! I've made some of these with fabric instead of a potholder, but would love to try your version. Thank you for the lovely tutorial.

Blessings to you, sweet lady!

CatNCart Craft said...

What a great idea. I had not seen one made like this and your instructions look easy to follow, so definitely adding this to my list of things to make, soon
Thanks
Judy

moosecraft said...

Now how fun is that?!? Cute, useful and quick way to add some seasonal decor to your kitchen!

Carol said...

That is super cute! You did a great job!

Carol- Beads and Birds said...

OMGosh!! I must not get out on the web much because I have NEVER seen these before. This is such a great idea! I'm going to keep it in mind because my daughter loves to display her kitchen towels like this. She already thinks I'm clever so I'll just reinforce that!! Thank You! Great Tut!!

I'll take summer year round...the Almanac says we are headed for the same frigid, snow filled winter again this year. Got a spare room ~lol~
xx, Carol

Candace said...

Perfect tutorial, Jeanna! I've been thinking of making one of these for a while, too. Now I know how. Hope those hurricanes stay away from your house!
Cheers!

Carrie P. said...

good job on showing us how to do the towel. I like to switch mine out during the seasons too.

Breesmimi said...

SEW Cute! Thanks for the tutorial. I think I'll make one too.

Art and Sand said...

What a cute idea!

I have never heard of a frixion pen, but I will look for one.

Art and Sand said...

What a cute idea!

I have never heard of a frixion pen, but I will look for one.

Linda Walker said...

What a quick and easy project! So cute! I really need to find one of those pens too! Have a great weekend!
Linda
mysewwhatblog

Marcy said...

This is the greatest idea. It's on my list next time I'm out. What a cute, quick gift. I came here from Val's and will be back again. Love your writing style and I can hear you sweet southern accent in all those words.